Curry, series of Thompson seals for Warriors, eliminates Grizzlies

Klay Thompson knocked down eight 3-pointers on the way to 30 points, Stephen Curry scored 29 with six 3s, and the Golden State Warriors advanced to the Western Conference Finals by beating the Memphis Grizzlies 110-96 in Game 6 on Saturday. .

Curry found his shooting touch late and made two consecutive baskets late in the third for a 78-77 lead in the final 12 minutes. Draymond Green contributed 14 points, 16 rebounds and eight assists.

Kevon Looney grabbed 22 rebounds and Andrew Wiggins scored 10 of 18 points in the fourth with a timely pair of 3s.

Golden State — eliminated by Memphis in the Qualifying Tournament last year — weathered a grueling streak to advance to the Conference Finals for the first time since 2019, when the franchise reached its fifth straight NBA Finals before losing to Toronto in the deciding Game 6. .

The third-seeded Warriors will face the winner of Phoenix-Dallas in the Conference Finals. Game 7 of this series will take place on Sunday in Phoenix.

“Woop that trick!” the delighted and boisterous home crowd chanted in the final moments, flying the fans away from Memphis.

Dillon Brooks scored 30 points with a career-high seven 3-pointers but picked up his second flagrant foul of the series. Desmond Bane added 25.

Curry came back for the final 8:21 and delivered a 3 with 5:45 remaining on a nice bouncing pass from Green. Looney found Green for an easy dunk next time out, capping a 10-0 decisive run.

After Thursday’s 134-95 debacle on the Grizzlies’ home court in which they trailed by as much as 55 points, the Warriors were determined to do everything better, especially reducing the 22 turnovers leading to 29 points.

The Warriors outscored the Grizzlies 70-44, becoming the first team to grab 70 rebounds in a playoff game since San Antonio had 75 against Denver on May 4, 1983.

Bane scored the game’s first two baskets before the Warriors went 10 straight, with a pair of layups from Green and a 3 from Curry and Thompson.

Looney started after Jonathan Kuminga played the previous three games after guard Gary Payton II was injured.

He broke his left elbow in a clumsy fall after being hit in the head by Brooks in game 2, earning Brooks a flagrant foul 2 and a one-game suspension.

He was again loudly booed at every opportunity by the sold-out Chase Center crowd.

When Payton was shown on the big screen during a first quarter timeout, he received a cheering ovation and held his heart out before encouraging them to make more noise.

Memphis again played without All-Star guard Ja Morant, who missed his third straight game with an embarrassing bone bruise in his right knee that the Grizzlies blamed on Jordan Poole pulling on the knee as he searched for a loose ball in game 3.

Kiwi star Steven Adams limped gingerly on his right ankle and headed for the locker room 3:23 before half-time but came back.

Meanwhile, Brooks received a flagrant 1 foul for taking out Curry and the Grizzlies and Thompson forward was hit with a technical double.

Comments are closed.